Join online today — here’s why!
What has MLCA done so far?
Massachusetts Lactation Consultants Association is an official 501.c.3 non-profit organization. Your donations are tax deductible. When you become a member, we’ll include you in our monthly emailing with blog updates and other news items.
Here’s are a few things we have done since 2016.
- Had a productive discussion with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of MA about the value of IBCLC care beyond the hospital stay. As of November 2017, BC/BS of MA has been reimbursing for IBCLC home visits.
- Gave a presentation to medical directors of health plans in MA about the value of IBCLC care.
- Several educational events:
November 2016 Premature Infants: From N.I.C.U to Home. Tufts Medical Center, Boston
February 2017 ‘What to Expect When You Expect A.C.A Repeal’ Jessica M. Lang, PhD, IBCLC, MPH. Newton
April 2017 Breastfeeding News You Can Use. Melrose-Wakefield Hospital, Melrose.
August 2017 ‘The Milky Way’ film showing and discussion. Newton
September 2017 Learn and Share: Case Studies, PPD and Insurance. UMass Worcester.
May 2018 Master Class with Catherine Watson Genna, BS, IBCLC Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Medford.
November 2018 News You Can Use conference at Tufts Medical Center, Boston
- Free Webinar (1.5 CERPs) for members: “Food Sensitivities in the Breastfeeding Baby” January 2019
- Provided conference scholarships for volunteer breastfeeding support people and peer counselors.
- Lending Library: available to current and aspiring IBCLCs. Visit the Lending Library page.
- 20% discount for MLCA members with Springer Publications.
- News updates and items of interest on Masslca.org website.
- Regular blog updates sent to your email.
- Members directory. Join or renew online.
- MLCA has held annual meetings in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. We’ve also had regional meetings in different parts of the state so more members can attend. Volunteer to host a meeting in your area!
- Check out our MLCA Facebook page.
- Here’s how you can contribute to MLCA’s growth:
- Get involved in the legislative effort for licensure of IBCLCs. Assure IBCLC care for all Massachusetts families. Talk to your legislators, discuss this with families and clients.
- Build relationships with organizations that work to improve lactation services for families.
- Promote and communicate the interests and concerns of Massachusetts lactation consultants in the local and national chapters.
- Host a regional meeting,
- Present a topic at an educational event.
- Educate your legislators about the IBCLC standard of care.
- Participate in organizing the annual conference.
- Get involved in mentoring projects.
- Come to our regional Meetings (across the Commonwealth), an annual Members Meeting and the annual conference. Meet with other lactation consultants and health care providers.
- Receive the monthly MLCA blog roll by e-mail.
- Attend a conference. November 2, 2019: “It’s Complicated” at Tufts Medical Center, Boston MA.
- Take part in a free webinar each year.
- The Lending Library is available to aspiring and current IBCLCs. Visit the lending library page.